Nestlé Takes Outsiders Pizza Nationwide After Successful Influencer + Sampling Campaign
In 2016, frozen food brands were facing the challenge of fewer young people taking trips down the frozen aisle. Seeing the opportunity to build this business, Nestlé’s solution was to give its arm, Foundry Foods Inc., the freedom to act like a startup. They began planning a test launch of Outsiders Pizza Company.
Looking to partner with a diverse supplier, Nestlé engaged Belle Communication, in helping Outsiders Pizza Company define and execute its regional influencer outreach strategy, as well as local sampling opportunities, to build an Outsiders’ fan base during the Columbus launch, which later expanded into Cleveland.
Belle Communication developed and executed a campaign to increase awareness and build Outsiders’ fan base through creative activations and influencer partnerships that focused on the following goals:
- Build intrigue to drive trial and awareness for Outsiders Pizza Company through a minimum of 30 unique brand partnerships in Columbus to support the brand launch.
- Create buzz and generate conversation about Outsiders Pizza Company by engaging targeted influencers who fit the brand personality, including distribution of at least 25 influencer kits and achieving 60 influencer event attendees at Outsiders Pizza Company brand activations.
- Build ongoing brand relationships among Columbus influencers with the goal of creating an Outsiders Pizza Company fan base that can be reengaged for secondary activations.
Rather than limiting outreach to social media influencers with large followings, Belle uncovered individuals with deep influence in their niche communities like tattoo artists, craft brewers and barbers. These people had to be unpretentious, respected in their community and excited about “damn good pizza.” For sampling activations, Belle strategically chose popular event venues and partners who fit the brand persona. This strategy expanded the reach beyond traditional influencer relationships to develop well-rounded partnerships that were reactivated, creating true brand ambassadors.
Belle Communication worked closely with Outsiders Pizza Company and its partners to curate experiences that aligned with the brand’s distinct personality and allowed influencers the opportunity to sample the pizza. Event attendee lists also included brand community partners whose personality, interests and networks were a priority target for Outsiders Pizza Company. The campaign achieved groundswell with local businesses and media proactively seeking out opportunities to team up with Outsiders Pizza Company. Throughout the multiple campaign periods, Belle secured the following:
- 72 total influencer attendees and 355 total attendees at four capstone events
- 30 total influencer kits distributed in Columbus and Cleveland
- 259,930 social media impressions and 1,000+ slices of pizza sampled.
Belle Communication supported a successful brand launch for Outsiders Pizza Company that built intrigue and drove awareness among key target audiences, resulting in Nestlé’s decision to move forward with a 2018 nationwide brand expansion.